We saw that there are a number of trends in Enterprise Asset Management. The Watson IoT division of IBM, which is where Maximo resides, is working and has products in all of those areas, and part of the Maximo investment strategy is to leverage those products providing tight integration with Maximo.
IBM regularly publishes a Maximo roadmap, roughly twice a year. This slide shows the main areas of investment expected for Maximo over the next couple of years – this slide was published in July 2018. As with all roadmaps please read the IBM note at the bottom of the screen, as the plans, directions and intent are subject to change.
- Augmented Reality (AR) is being trialed with both goggles and using AR on IOS/Android devices. https://www.ibm.com/blogs/internet-of-things/connected-worker-ar-with-maximo/ The main aims are to alert a user to information that may be coming from sensors, to allow a remote supervisor or specialist to see what is also going on, or to provide training assistance for work performed against a set of repeatable tasks.
- IBM Maximo APM – Equipment Maintenance Assistant is one of the newest products added to the Maximo portfolio and it allows various unstructured data, for example equipment manuals, sensor data, to be ingested with the structured data from Maximo to provide optimized repair guidance and failure predictions. The research into this came from the vehicles of the US Army Stryker force. There is a 5 minute video which explains this, the product used to be called the equipment advisor. https://www.ibm.com/us-en/marketplace/equipment-maintenance-assistant
- Maximo Network on Blockchain was announced in September 2018 and consists of two small sample blockchain applications a Service Request Review and a General Ledger Query. They allow external parties to view and edit the data in Maximo. There is a document that provides an example of an asset inspection performed by a contractor. The inspector receives inspection notifications from the blockchain and returns the inspection results to Maximo using the blockchain. https://www-01.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?htmlfid=WWS12364USEN
- IBM Maximo APM – Predictive Maintenance Insights is a cloud based system that is integrated with Maximo Asset Health Insights (MAHI), it uses a predictive model to determine whether you are under or over maintaining your assets and predicts their next failure date. It will help you to adjust the frequency of your preventive maintenance records. https://www.ibm.com/uk-en/marketplace/predictive-maintenance-insights/details
- The mobile suite of Maximo Anywhere continues to receive investment with new functionality to existing applications, new applications for some industry solutions and improvements in the user interface.
- The new user experience for Maximo are the role based Work Centers. The next set of personas are expected to be the Storeroom Manager (Clerk), Goods Receipt Specialist and Functional Inspector. Additional functionality on existing work centers and further ability to customize the Work Centers are also expected.
- Further enhancements to Maximo Asset Health Insights (MAHI) is also expected along with some other add-ons and Industry Solutions.